1. A versatile skirt, like a bustle skirt with underskirt that can be worn many ways with many blouses, tops and corsets, and changed up.
2. A pair of distinctively Lolita shoes and a pair of lace top socks in a complimentary neutral. (totally cheating with 2 here but hey, footwear…)
3. A no-fuss, comfy, plain (for Lolita) dress you can throw on, style many ways and then just forget
4. A full basic makeup and hairstyling kit. (That ‘natural look’ takes some magic 😉 )
5. One piece of Brand, no matter how small or inexpensive.
It goes without saying in my book that you have to have a full petticoat unless you exclusively wear the few styles that do not require it. Ditto for something on your head or in your hair, even if it is a small jeweled pin.
Also, unless you have a larger budget, iconic pieces like that one distinctive print or the head bow that only goes with one dress aren’t practical for beginners, unless you will only wear your kit to 1-2 meets a year.